Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Plan to Succeed


The best of intentions can be derailed without a plan. We can learn about the types of food that make us feel good and gain understanding of portion control, but until we know how that translates into our day to day life we still do have a plan to succeed.

Each week I sit down on Sunday morning with my cup of tea, before the day gets busy and I go through cookbooks. I choose 5 or 6 meals that my husband and I will make during the coming week. I think about our schedules and what kind of time we will have and I plan accordingly. I then assess my needs, make a list, and do my shopping for the entire week.

With the food I need stocked for the week and my menu planned, I come home from work and choose one of our menu options. The best part is I don’t have to be creative at the end of the day when things tend to be a bit chaotic.

Some days I have more time than others. For instance, on Sunday afternoon I will put together a pot of soup when I have the time to do so. I then package the leftovers in individual serving containers. Some can go in the refrigerator for lunch and I may freeze others. This way it is easy for me to grab my lunch on the way out the door to work without having to prepare.

This may seem like a lot of work at first, but it is a healthy habit that can last a lifetime if you commit to your plan. It has saved me from the drive through pitfall or pizza delivery fallback option that crosses our minds when we get caught up in our day to day fluster. This way I am always prepared to easily choose a healthy option.

Shannon Westgate

No comments:

Post a Comment